March 14, 2020
Cost: $10 per scout, $12 per adult, $20 at the door
Must register online!
Time and Place:
Registration begins at 8am (all cars must be registered) and ends at 8:30am; Races will begin at 9:15am
1492 Kelton Dr, Stone Mountain 30083
Please start preparing your car early.
Pinewood Derby kits are available on-line at
www.scoutshop.org or at the Atlanta Area Council Scout Shop
Search The Web for ‘Pinewood Derby Cars’ and get hundreds of design ideas and tips
Parents and Scouts get ready for one of the most exciting
Cub Scout activities ever…
The Pinewood Derby!
Turn those wood blocks into AMAZING
works of art with winning speed!
There will be a Scout Race and an Adult Race!
Below are some important Rules of the Pinewood Derby:
1. All cars must begin with a BLOCK of wood from a Pinewood Derby Kit. Pre-cut derby cars
will not be allowed to enter any races.
2. All cars should not be higher than 3 inches from the tabletop.
2. Clearance between wheels on the same axle must be at least 1 3/4 inches.
3. The overall width of the car shall not be more that 2 ¾ inches. The car should have at least 3/8-
inch clearance underneath (from tabletop to bottom of car).
4. The length of the car shall not be more than 7 inches.
5. The completed car shall not be more than 5.0 ounces (141.8 grams) as weighed by the official
designated Pack Scale.
6. The design of the car must allow for it to be held by the starting gate, and no part of the car can
extend beyond the inside edge of the starting gate release rods.
7. The car shall not ride on any type of spring.
8. Distance between the front and rear axles must be the same as comes in the original kit slots.
9. Approximately 4-3/8 inches or 11 CM.
10.The 4 axles furnished with the kit and any official BSA wheels (any color) must be used.
11.Wheel bearings, washers and bushings are not allowed.
12.Wheels may be lightly sanded to remove any burs or imperfections. Wheels cannot be reshaped
or altered. (See Cub Scout Grand Prix book pg. 14 & 15)*
13.The car must be freewheeling with no starting devices.
14.No oil, grease, or silicone spray may be used on the axles or wheels. Only powdered or liquid-todry
graphite is allowed.
15.Painting and detailing are allowed so long as they are within all rules and acceptable in the spirit of
16.The car will be impounded at the weigh-in and cannot be altered in any way for the duration of the
17.Judges decisions are final.
Contacts: Kenneth Doyle, firstname.lastname@example.org
DATE OF RACE: Saturday, March 14th * DATE Academy Charter School – Registration starts at 8:00 am and ends at 8:30am. Race starts at 9:15 am.
Registering your entire pack or unable to register using the council website? Download this form and email it to the derby director.